Rainy days are still ahead California, whether you are in Northern California where rainfall is more abundant, or you are in Southern California where it happens less often. Driving habits need to be changed when it is raining versus when it is a dry day to ensure road safety. Martinez Bail Bond Store wants to provide you helpful rainy weather driving tips that will help protect you and others from harm’s way.
- The road is most slippery on the first day of rain, so drive slower.
- Drive slower and leave more space than usual between your car and the car ahead.
- Brake earlier than normal so the car behind you has extra time to brake as well.
- Make sure all car lights are working: headlights, taillights, signal lights, brake lights, and high beams.
- Turn your headlights on when using your windshield wipers, even if it is raining on a sunny day. This is the law.
- Make sure your horn is working.
- Check your tire treads; if they need changing, change the tires. Also make sure the air is to level in your tires.
- If you feel your car hydroplaning, remove your foot from the gas but do not step on the brake. Just keep a steady grip of your steering wheel and you will feel your car will gain traction again.
- Do not try and operate your phone while driving. Not only is it unsafe, it is illegal. Pull over, turn your car off, and then use your phone.
- Keep a phone charger in your car at all times, it can come in handy in an emergency.
All sorts of driving nightmares can occur when the weather is not on our side, but the more precautions drivers take, the better it is for everyone on the road.