Just about every adult out there is currently enjoying the fun of the average five day work week. You can pretty much guarantee that no matter what day of the week it is, all of the employees are waiting for the weekend. This is because the weekend is when we all get to be in control of our lives, not our employers.
The weekend allows everyone to catch their breaths and relax after a long and tiring work week. Most people would argue that the weekend is not long enough. That they do not feel like they have had enough of a chance to recuperate. Many people are excited to learn, that this may be true.
There have been numerous studies over the years by researchers and companies alike. One thing that seems to be consistent, is that when the work week is shortened to 4 days, productivity actually goes up.
By reducing the work week by just one day, many researchers and companies have found that employee happiness goes up, and so does work productivity. A shorter work week actually helps employees stay healthy, by preventing them from getting too stressed. This also helps employees be more focused and motivated at work, which in turn allows them get their jobs done sooner. Companies who adopted a shorter work week also found that employees were less likely to call in sick.
It can sound a little weird, reduce the amount of time working and work productivity goes up, but it appears to be true. Most people would assume the opposite. Perhaps this has something to do with keeping employees happy. By keeping employees happy, they are more willing to work efficiently. This is definitely something that many employees would recommend their bosses look further into, because who wouldn’t enjoy a shorter work week?
Winter is upon us and with the cold weather breathing down our necks, it is important to get things ready for the season. A person should always winterize the various aspects of their property, this includes their car. While it may not seem like it, your vehicle needs to be prepared for the winter months.
Winter is one of the harshest seasons of the year, nobody wants to get stranded on the side of the road in freezing temperatures. To help prevent that, a driver needs to take care of their vehicle. For starters, all of the vehicles fluids should be checked, and topped of or changed if necessary. Different fluids to check include:
- Engine oil
- Transmission oil
- Wiper fluid
All of these fluids help keep the engine running, with the exception of the wiper fluid which simply makes it easier for the driver to see through their windshield.
It is also important for a driver to check their vehicle’s tires. Ensure that the tires have enough air in them, and that the treads are still in good condition. The treads help provide traction and if they are too worn, the tires should be replaced. If you live in an area that receives a lot of snow fall, consider getting snow tires.
Lastly, ensure that your car’s battery is still good. Just like AA batteries, car batteries eventually go bad. The extremely cold weather of winter can make it harder for you vehicle to start, which puts more strain on the battery. If the battery is too old, it can go out and leave you stranded.
If you do that, your car will be more likely to take care of you and not leave you stranded anywhere.
It is that time of year where people begin to form a list of promises they want to make to themselves. New Year’s Resolutions are positive and uplifting to some, while they are a joke to others. According Nielsen and Newswire, the top ten New Year’s Resolutions are:
- Stay fit and healthy
- Lose weight
- Enjoy life
- Save more money
- Spend more time with friends and family
- Get organized
- Learn something new
- Travel more
The pros to having resolutions are that they provide you with an opportunity to reflect on your life. In order to form a list, you have to first look back and evaluate your life. Another positive thing about resolutions is that they give you a goal and help you plan the next year.
The cons to a list of resolutions is it enables procrastination. For example, if you failed to lose weight this last year, no worries, you can procrastinate again this year. Also, there’s a lot of pressure to actually do your resolutions, especially if you share your list with friends on Facebook. Ultimately it is a personal choice whether to have a list or not.
Anyone who has been on the internet lately has probably heard about Net Neutrality and how the Federal Communications Commission is looking to replace it. As many might have picked up on, this is a very big deal.
Net neutrality if very important for anyone who likes using the internet. With it gone, the internet will become a very different place.
The main concept, in basic terms, is this:
Net Neutrality makes it so that all websites and services are treated equally by internet service providers. This means that each site is allowed the same speed and connectivity as every other site on the web.
Without net neutrality, internet service providers such as Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, and many others will be able to do whatever they what with internet speeds. They will be able to slow data speeds for YouTube unless the company pays a premium rate. Providers will be able to block sites unless their customer pays to have access to those sites. Basically, the internet service providers will be able to make more money off of their customers and the website companies themselves.
This is why so many large corporations are against the removal of net neutrality. Companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Netflix are all in favor of net neutrality, and for good reason. Without this protection, internet providers will be able to run rampant, and that will drastically affect the people who use sites like Netflix and Google.
Imagine only being able to use Bing instead of Google, because Bing is paying Verizon to let their site be available to Verizon customers. Sounds insane, but is entirely possible if net neutrality is repealed. What makes this worse is that this kind of situation is not a far stretch for many of these internet providers. They have tried to do similar things in the past, and were stopped because of net neutrality.
So, if you want to keep the internet as it is, then you want to keep net neutrality around. It is the only thing keeping internet service providers from completely screwing over their clients. You can do your part by contacting the FCC and your Representatives. Let them know that removing net neutrality is a terrible idea.
There are many families out there that travel during the holiday season. This way, they will be able to spend some time with the people they care about the most. The problem is, that a lot of families do this, which can lead to many headaches and hassles to overcome. Roads can become parking lots and airports are filled to the brim with travelers looking to fly to their destination.
To help avoid any nightmare travel situations when it comes to flying, here are a few tips to help you out.
- Choose the right dates. When it comes to flying, choosing the right dates can be very important. Choosing the same day as everyone else can lead to a lot of headaches dealing with crowds. Everybody wants to get the longest weekend possible while not missing too many days of work. Figure out what days those are and avoid them. If you can avoid those particular days, you can avoid a lot of the crowds.
- Shop for the best deals. As with any purchase, a person should shop around when looking to book a flight. This can help you get the best deal available at the time. Also, do not be afraid to check flights from other local airports. You may be able to find a better deal at another airport that is close by.
- Plan your flight carefully. Layovers can be a nightmare during the holiday season. This is largely due to flight delays brought on by bad weather. When choosing flights, be sure to avoid short connection times. This can prevent you from missing a flight due to a delay and help keep you from needing to make a mad dash through the airport.
- Leave early. During the holidays, it is important to leave for the airport earlier than usual. More people are traveling around that time and therefore there will be more delays. Leaving earlier than usual will help account for those delays and ensure you do not miss your flight.
- Above everything else, stay calm. The most important thing is to always stay calm, no matter what happens. You want the airline employees to be your friend, and that will be unlikely if you are angry or rude with them.
Everyone wants to be with their loved ones for the holidays, which is why so many people travel during these times. Do not let the influx in travelers deter you. You can still make it to your loved one’s home for the holidays, you just need to be prepared.
DUI Checkpoints can be intimidating to people, even when they have done nothing wrong. When it comes to DUI checkpoints, the only people who need to worry are the ones who were drinking before they got behind the wheel of their vehicle. These checkpoints increase in frequency around holidays, especially ones that involve a lot of partying.
The police know that people tend to drink more around the holidays. This leads to an increase in drunk driving incidents. That is why the police set up more DUI checkpoints around holidays like Christmas and New Year’s. The goal is to save lives by reducing the amount drunk driving incidents that can occur.
When a person comes across a checkpoint, they will likely encounter a line of cars. One by one, a team of officers will each call forward a vehicle to interview the driver. The officers will ask where the driver is headed, where they came from, and have they been drinking. They will also ask to see the driver’s license and registration.
As long as the driver cooperates and the officer does not suspect that the driver has been drinking, the driver will be able to go on their way. However, if the officer does suspect that the driver has been drinking, then the driver will be asked to pull over to the side. From there, another officer will likely issue a field sobriety test. If the driver fails this, he or she will be held until they sober up or have someone come to pick them up.
DUI checkpoints are nothing to be afraid of.
They are only meant to catch drunk drivers. These checkpoints catch hundreds of drunk drivers, keeping the streets safe for everyone on the road.
As Christmas approaches, more and more people turn to online shopping to buy gifts for their friends and family members. This leads to an increase in packages being delivered to their houses, which can be problematic. Thieves love it when they see a package sitting unattended on a porch. They may not know what they are stealing, but they know they can easily take it.
No one wants to have their package stolen, especially when it is a gift for someone else. That is why it is important that everyone takes extra precautions when buying things online.
You do not want to give thieves an opportunity to steal your package.
Luckily, most delivery services and online retailers provide their clients with options to help prevent package theft.
- Always get a tracking number for the package. This will allow you to know when the package will be delivered, and make sure that someone is there to collect it for you.
- FedEx and USPS allow customers to schedule deliveries for a set time, thus ensuring someone will be home to get the package.
- If possible, leave delivery instructions. FedEx allows clients to leave instructions on where the box should be left, such as at the back door instead of the front door.
- Request that a signature be needed for the delivery. This way, if no one is home, the package will not be left at the door unattended.
- Try having the package delivered somewhere other than your home. FedEx and UPS will allow you to have a package delivered to a neighbor or your work.
- Opt for in store pickup. Many retailers allow for items to be ordered online and picked up in a store with no extra charge.
When ordering something online, look at the delivery options. Many retailers provide their clients with different options to make the delivery as convenient and safe as possible. By choosing a more secure delivery option, the person is ensuring that they, not a thief, get their package.
As a kid, winter is a lot of fun. Winter brings storms, which in turn bring snow which can lead to extra days off from school, and all the while, the thought of Christmas is hanging in the air. While this is all great as a kid, as an adult things prove to be a little more difficult, especially when it comes to snow.
Driving can already be a bit of a hassle, thanks to the increase in traffic, but the bad weather can make things worse. Driving in the rain or snow can be dangerous if a person is not prepared, or lacks any experience with the matter. To help take care of that, here are some winter driving tips.
- Slow down on wet roads. Water on the roads can reduce friction, which will make it easy for cars to slide across the road without any control when at high speeds. Slowing down just a little bit can reduce the chances of this happening to you. If the vehicle you are driving starts to hydroplane, do not slam on the brakes as doing so will take away what little control you have. Instead, take your foot of the gas pedal and let the vehicle slow down naturally. Once it slows down, the tires will regain traction and you will have control of the vehicle again.
- Slow everything down on frozen roads. Snow and ice reduce the grip of your tires on roads far more than water. To compensate for this, a person needs to not only drive slower, but accelerate and brake at a slower pace as well. Accelerating too quickly can cause a car to spin out, while braking too suddenly will cause the car to slide.
- Always use headlights. Headlights not only allow you to see better while driving, they also allow other drivers to see you better. This can help prevent other cars from hitting you when visibility is low.
- The best advice for driving in bad weather, is to avoid driving in bad weather. When the weather is bad, a person should only head out on the road if they absolutely have to. If they can avoid going out, they should.
Follow these tips and you will be able to stay safe on the roads this winter season.
During the holiday season, everyone spends quite a bit of time shopping. They have to find the perfect gifts for their friends and family members. Some people take to online shopping, while others flock to brick and mortar stores. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Thieves love the holiday season because more and more people are out and about. The chances for the thief finding an easy mark greatly increase during the holidays. If you are like most people, you do not want to be an easy target for these thieves.
Here are few things that you can do while out shopping to keep yourself safe.
- Shop during the day to avoid being alone in a parking lot at night. If you have to shop at night or late in the evening, park under a street lamp to ensure good visibility around your car.
- Have your keys ready to go before you get to your car. You do not want to be stuck searching for your keys as this can leave you vulnerable.
- Dress comfortably and casually. Dressing in expensive and fancy clothes can make yourself appear to be a more valuable target than other shoppers.
- Don’t carry more money than you will need for that particular shopping trip. In fact, try to pay with checks or credit cards as much as possible. This eliminates the amount of money that thief could potentially take.
- Avoid carrying too many packages at once. You want to be able to see where you are going, and still have the freedom to move around if need be.
- If your credit card is lost or stolen, report it to the credit card company right away. This will ensure that no one can use it and spend your hard earned money.
- Try not to use a purse or wallet when shopping, since these are prime targets for thieves. Instead, keep necessary cash and cards in your front pocket where it is harder for thieves to reach them.
- Be wary of strangers approaching you. Thieves can work in tag teams to distract you and take your belongings.
- Always stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. You do not want someone sneaking up on you.
By following these tips, you should be able to have a safe shopping experience this holiday season. That is all anyone could ask for.
No one ever wants to get arrested. Doing so means being placed into a small concrete cell with iron bars, possibly with other inmates. A person loses their freedom when arrested, and it is not fun at all. However, something most people do not consider, is what happens if they are arrested outside of the United States.
Here in the US, the Constitution grants all US citizens certain rights. These rights may not be granted in other countries.
Some of these rights include:
- Innocent until proven guilty
- Having a speedy trial
- Having a trial with a jury of your peers
- Safety from cruel and unusual punishment
Here in the US, we are very lucky to have these rights. Not every country offers these rights to its citizens, let alone visitors from other countries.
When a US citizen is arrested while abroad, they are subject to that country’s laws. They will face whatever kind of trial that country offers. They will need to serve their sentence in one of that country’s jails as well.
A US citizen abroad cannot rely on the US Constitution to protect them.
A US citizen who has been arrested abroad does have the right to request that the local US embassy or consulate be notified of their arrest.
A consular officer will be sent to visit with the arrested person and provide them with some assistance. This right is thanks to the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.
This is why it is extremely important for a person to familiarize themselves with the laws of the country they are visiting. Things that may be legal here in the US, may be illegal in some foreign countries. No one wants to get arrested, especially when they are outside the US.